Man questioned over death of railway worker who was spat at

A man has been questioned in connection with the attack of railway worker, Belly Mujinga, who died of coronavirus after being spat at.

British Transport Police confirmed today that a man, 57, from London, has been identified in connection with the incident. They said they are not looking for anyone else.

The 47-year-old mother-of-one was in the concourse of London’s Victoria station on March 21, when a man claiming to have Covid-19 coughed at her and a colleague, her union said. Both women fell ill with the virus within days.

Ms Mujinga, who had underlying respiratory problems, was admitted to Barnet Hospital and put on a ventilator but she later died on April 5.

A British Transport Police spokesman said: ‘Following a number of inquiries into an incident at London Victoria station on March 21, officers identified a 57-year-old man from London in connection.

‘He was interviewed under caution today at a London police station. Detectives will continue to collate evidence and investigate the circumstances behind the incident.

‘They are not looking to identify anyone further in relation to the incident.’

Deliberately spitting on somebody is punishable by up to six months in prison in the most serious cases.

A fundraising page set up for the family of Ms Mujinga, who has an 11-year-old daughter, has reached almost £40,000 in donations.

The attack on the mother, who was employed by Govia Thameslink Railway, has drawn outrage from the public amid a series of coughing and spitting assaults on essential workers.

At Prime Minister’s Questions on Wednesday, Boris Johnson described her death as ‘tragic’.

‘The fact that she was abused for doing her job is utterly appalling,’ he added.

Her death has sparked fresh calls for transport workers to be given personal protective equipment (PPE).

The Transport Salaried Staffs Association (TSSA) said many of its members were scared for their safety working during the pandemic.

Victor Bangura, a gate worker at Victoria, said: ‘Imagine you see someone now like me and the next time they are dead.

‘My whole body went into shock. I was very, very emotional. We are all vulnerable, in the same station, it could happen to any one of us.’

Friends are demanding answers as to why bosses at Victoria Station didn’t immediately report the attack to police.